Thursday, October 20, 2011

Welcome to Motherhood

So I'm feeling pretty good about this whole motherhood thing. I can't believe I'm old enough to be a mother and this is really happening..... but I feel good about it! I have always wanted to be a mom but I'm not exactly what people would describe as really put together or the homemaker type. My son Zachary is almost 4 months old now (totally loving this smiley stage he's in) and although I've enjoyed motherhood from the start I am beginning to feel like myself again and less like a hormonal mess. Who would of known extreme sleep deprivation could make you feel so crazy! We're through the woods so to speak in the sleep department and I'm starting to find time to reflect on this whole process and I am super excited to be writing this post as it is my first! So here are a few things I have discovered so far.........

So first of all, as I was saying before, I am not the homemaker type so I was always a little frightened by a few aspects of motherhood. It kind of scared of me to think that I would be responsible for another person's life, for one. Zachary will be watching me and learning from me. So during the time I was expecting my wonderful bundle of joy, I thought about this a lot. What kind of person am I now? And who will I be as a mother? Do I need to change? Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely loooove shopping and I am extremely social person who loves to be out all day. So as I thought about theses questions I wondered if I would need to change completely, become a homebody and start being super domestic.

I'm relieved to say that hasn't happened. I have made a few adjustments, however. The amazing thing is that as soon as I held Zachary in my arms I knew right away that my life would change forever and it would be amazing. I didn't know in that moment what exactly that would look like. But I knew I loved Zachary so much that I would do anything for him. Children are such a pure gift from God. It was in that moment that I felt the weight of my responsibility for this child and just what a privilege it is to be entrusted with another life. What an exciting thing! For the first few weeks I just kept staring at my husband Trent in disbelief that we now had a baby together, what a miracle!

I realize now that the best thing I can do is be the woman God created me to be and continue to grow into the mother He created me to be. I have taken Zachary on many shopping trips and several journeys to Starbucks but there are also days when I just want stay home with him and relax. There are times when I even do some baking or housework! My life is definitely different but it's awesome and I am excited for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment